Unemployment stays at 9.6% in September, 95k jobs lost
The Bureau of Labor Statistics reported that the unemployment remained at 9.6% in September with 95,000 jobs being lost. Private sector employment increased by 64,000 jobs.
Let’s breakdown the numbers:
- The unemployment rate for high school drop outs was 15.4%, up from 14.0% last month.
- 4.4% of college graduates were unemployed, down from 4.6% the previous month.
- The jobless rate for high school graduates was 10.0%, down from 10.3%.
- 9.8% of men 20 and over were unemployed, unchanged.
- Women 20 and over had an unemployment rate of 8.0%, unchanged.
- 26.0% of 16 to 19 year olds were unemployed, down from 26.3% last month.
- Jobless rate among whites was at 8.7%, unchanged from last month.
- 16.1% of blacks were jobless, down from 16.3% the prior month
Educational attainment played a major factor in changes in September’s unemployment numbers.